Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Lt1046 model. the mower started to sputter while diving and

Customer Question

lt1046 model. the mower started to sputter while diving and now it won't turn over. all safety switches checked good oil. it blowes smoke when it temps to start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
What is the brand of your engine and the model numbers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Koehler engine
spec # ***** sv720 0010
serial #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. Do you have some carburetor cleaning in a can, or some starting fluid. If so, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up briefly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried that already
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did your engine start up as you was trying it? Have you checked for spark to your spark plugs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed plugs and no it did not start. got it running but having trouble keeping it going
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that your engine will start now, but will not continue to run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is running but sputtering
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. The fuel shut off solenoid on your carburetor could be faulty, or your carburetor may need a really good cleaning. If your fuel shut off solenoid is not working properly, your fuel will be restricted.
Make sure your choke is fully open, and your air filter is clean.
One of your safety switches could be faulty. A quick way to eliminate your safety switches as the problem, will be to remove your engine cover, and remove the kill wires from your ignition coils. If the sputtering continues, then your safety switches are okay. Remember that if your kill wires are not connection to your ignition coils, you will not be able to kill your engine by turning your key to off position.