Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

How is extension spring installed on bolens 13wc762f065, part

Customer Question

how is extension spring installed on bolens 13wc762f065, part number 732-04280B
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! One end goes to the end of the idler pulley lever # ***** and the solid end, goes into a slot in the deck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the spring was attached at one end when i found it but it was not attached on the deck it was on a mounting bracket for the deck. not sure which is pulley #2
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
# ***** is the idler bracket that has to move to tension the belt , has the single idler pulley attached to it. On the long end, where it would have the most leverage is the hole for the spring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a spring in place that is connected to the PTO blade engage cable and that is attached to one of the pulleys, where in relation to that would this second spring attach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im assuming that engages the pulley and this spring keeps it away from belt when disengaged correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still here?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It works just the opposite, the cable with spring releases the pulley, so the larger extension spring can pull the idler pulley against the belt. Then when the cable is released , the spring applys the blade brakes on the two spindle pulleys. I can't find a good picture of the deck with the spring attached. Check this one, I think it is correct! Left click on the link to highlite, right click to access. ---------------------------------- https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/tools-power-equipment/32376d1281180341-mtd-yard-machine-model-13af6088062-belt-layout-springs-mtd42gdeck.gif
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything you are saying seems opposite of what i am seeing when i engage the PTO. the spring on the cable pulls the pulley against the belt. that spring is closeswest to the idler pulley where the most leverage would be and that is the bigger of the 2 springs. I am working with the smaller one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and that link you sent was for the 48" deck i have the 38"
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The spring location should be the same! Does it not look like the 38 inch deck? Same pulley arrangement and spring and brakes? I see no difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is a different pulley configuration
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will opt out. That is all I have. Please do not rate or respond to me or no one else can answer. Sorry I couldn't help. Good night
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
If you are still needing assistance, I can help you with getting your spring re-attached. Please let me know, and we can continue from here. Thanks!