Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

What would cause my 14 hp snapper riding lawn mower to turn

Customer Question

What would cause my 14 hp snapper riding lawn mower to turn over but not crank up?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do a spark test by pulling the spark plug, and with it grounded to the metal of the engine, crank over and look for spark . If it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the cylinder, re-install the spark plug ans see if it will start for a few seconds. These two test will determine what to do next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has already replaced the old spark plug with a new one, it still will not turn over.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you read my response on how to determine the problem? What engine is this? Briggs engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kohler 14 hp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, same test needs to be run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, It is late. We will be back tomorrow.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, if there is no spark, locate the coil next to the flywheel, and remove the single wire, which is the kill wire. Then check for spark again. No spark, you need a new coil! If it does have spark, check the kill wire from coil back to the key switch, for a short that is grounding out the spark.