Jack
Jack, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Briggs & Stratton Kohler and MTD Tech. with over 15 years Small engine knowledge.
72783663

Changed oil on a inteck 18.5 and had big puff smoke. Oil is

Customer Question

Changed oil on a inteck 18.5 and had big puff smoke. Oil is blown to top of dip stick and into fuel. Pump.could I have put wrong filter on?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT). I will do my best to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your intek engine, I run a MTD Troy-Bilt warranty and repair center and I am a certified Briggs factory tech, the first thing to check is the filter but it is most likely not your problem the next is to check the oil level itself. did you check the levels?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
what other info can you give me? did you do anything else to the unit? how old is the unit? has it had regular service? the more info I get the more accurate my answer will be.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
If your oil level is correct and not overfull at all and you are still getting oil into the fuel pump and extra pressure in the crankcase( with the dipstick off you will get oil splash out will make a mess)then the most likely cause for your issue is going to be a bad head gasket this is a very common issue on the intek signal cylinder engines I replace several a season. the repair is not that difficult and if you have the correct tools should be about a 45 min to 1 hour job if you are a novice to the repair it may take you a couple of hours.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
please let me know if you have any other questions about this thank you