Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Craftsman 20 HP: need small engine riding lawn mower help

Customer Question

need small engine riding lawn mower help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** thank you for using Just Answer. What kind of problem are you having with your riding mower?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mower will start but will not stay running longer than 30 seconds. Kind of just fades out like it lost its spark to stay fired. RPM slow to stop. Possible charging system issues as I feel I'm getting plenty of fuel. This condition persists until battery dies. Fuse is good and plugs are clean and firing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is without engaging and dropping the mower deck by the way. Tractor power only
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
So on a charged battery will it run ? , if so it could be the alternator not charging the battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right that's my thought. There is no outboard alternator so the stator on the flywheel may be the culprit or may just be crap between the stator and the flywheel. I'll pull it apart and take a peek. Was just looking to put the scope on the rifle so to speak since i am pretty good mechanically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other info you might be able to provide?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Yes if it's not charging it would be the stator, the best way to tell is to get a digital multimeter and put it on dc 20 volts and check the voltage of the battery, it may need to be charged then see if it will run and test the battery not running vs running and if the stator is working it should read 2 volts higher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool. I'll do that tomorrow morning. The idea is to keep it running long enough to test it...LOL
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Charge the battery good first and see if it will stay running , if not on a full charged battery it's most likely not the charging system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I charged it over night and it looks to be all good since my trickle charger has feedback the that the battery charged fully. I think we're on the right track. Now to find a stator for the particular Briggs motor. I'll grab the model number off the engine shroud and search tonight after work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some of these things have a diode in the harness but it wouldn't start if that diode was bad, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diode to rectify from AC to DC for charging system, apparently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most mowers I've seen that run that will not start at all though.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The diode in most briggs is a wire , and it is replaced when the stator it , it's near where it plus into the engine harness . The first thing I think to do is get a good charge on the battery and see if it will run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okie doke! Thanks.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
No problem I'll wait to hear back from what you find