Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Craftsman 20 HP: need small engine riding lawn mower help

Customer Question

need small engine riding lawn mower help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** thank you for using Just Answer. What kind of problem are you having with your riding mower?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mower will start but will not stay running longer than 30 seconds. Kind of just fades out like it lost its spark to stay fired. RPM slow to stop. Possible charging system issues as I feel I'm getting plenty of fuel. This condition persists until battery dies. Fuse is good and plugs are clean and firing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is without engaging and dropping the mower deck by the way. Tractor power only
So on a charged battery will it run ? , if so it could be the alternator not charging the battery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right that's my thought. There is no outboard alternator so the stator on the flywheel may be the culprit or may just be crap between the stator and the flywheel. I'll pull it apart and take a peek. Was just looking to put the scope on the rifle so to speak since i am pretty good mechanically.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any other info you might be able to provide?
Yes if it's not charging it would be the stator, the best way to tell is to get a digital multimeter and put it on dc 20 volts and check the voltage of the battery, it may need to be charged then see if it will run and test the battery not running vs running and if the stator is working it should read 2 volts higher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool. I'll do that tomorrow morning. The idea is to keep it running long enough to test it...LOL
Charge the battery good first and see if it will stay running , if not on a full charged battery it's most likely not the charging system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I charged it over night and it looks to be all good since my trickle charger has feedback the that the battery charged fully. I think we're on the right track. Now to find a stator for the particular Briggs motor. I'll grab the model number off the engine shroud and search tonight after work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
some of these things have a diode in the harness but it wouldn't start if that diode was bad, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Diode to rectify from AC to DC for charging system, apparently.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Most mowers I've seen that run that will not start at all though.
The diode in most briggs is a wire , and it is replaced when the stator it , it's near where it plus into the engine harness . The first thing I think to do is get a good charge on the battery and see if it will run
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okie doke! Thanks.
No problem I'll wait to hear back from what you find