Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Husqvarna mower with a Briggs & Stratton 21 HP twin

Customer Question

I have a Husqvarna mower with a Briggs & Stratton 21 HP twin engine. While I was mowing it suddenly sounded like the blades were hitting metal and the throttle went wide open. The sound came from the engine. The engine will start and run fine but runs wide open. The governor is binding and will not allow the carburetor to close. You cannot push it by hand and close it. Carburetor shaft and linkage to the governor arm are free. It seems to be inside the crankcase. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Tim K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answers. My name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question
It sounds likely that you have lost the governor mechanism inside the engine.
A good shop can quickly verify this for you. your description sounds accurate for a governor failure, or some other sort of internal failure that damaged the governor.
The next step would be to pull the engine and remove the oil pan for inspection to find out exactly what happened.