Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

The lawn mower with a briggs and stratton engine 550ex will

Customer Question

the lawn mower with a briggs and stratton engine 550ex will start and run each time for a few seconds and then die.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Many times when your engine will start up and run for a few seconds, then die, this indicates that your carburetor has a fuel restriction internally. It is very likely, that you will need to disassemble your carburetor, and give it another detailed cleaning. If you had old gas left in your carburetor, you may need to soak your carburetor, prior to cleaning it.
You can use a small wire to clean your small jets and fuel passages. Follow up with some carburetor cleaner in a can, and compressed air, if you have an air compressor. We can continue from here. Thanks!