Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Trying to start my lawn tractor after a cold winter. Left last

Customer Question

Trying to start my lawn tractor after a cold winter. Left last fall's fuel in the tank with fuel additive. It cranks but won't start. I'm not skilled at servicing engines, and usually have the tractor serviced at the beginning of the season by someone who picks it up, but I'd like to at least start it. Suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Most of the time when this happens, the problem is that the fuel has gotten old and is gumming up the carburetor passages. The solution is usually to remove the carburetor and clean and rebuilt it using a complete carburetor repair kit. Gasoline cannot be used if it is more than 30 days old and the fuel additives usually do not help much with todays GARBAGE gasoline's. I suggest that you have the repair service pick it up and do the job for you unless you feel that you can rebuild the carburetor yourself.