Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a cub cadet lt1018 that shuts off after only a few minutes

Customer Question

I have a cub cadet lt1018 that shuts off after only a few minutes while mowing, the mower will not restart until it cools. Is this a regulator issue, solenoid issue or something else? Thanks, Angie
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Angie. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
It is possible for your fuel shut off solenoid, or your ignition coil to be at fault. If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or some starting fluid, spray a small burst, directly into your carburetor. Let's see if your engine will start up and run briefly, before it cools off. This will confirm if our problem is fuel or ignition related. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just spent the money and bought the regulator. Now not turning over at all. It will crank but will not start. I believe it is not getting the fuel, there is plenty of fuel in the fuel filter also bought new today. So now I guess I am going to buy the fuel pump. I overhauled the carburetor last fall when started having the issue and thought this year was going to be easy start... wrong...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump is not the problem. Now back to the carburetor...fuel pump is working fine, after taking the line off while running...it has plenty of pressure.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this information. This does lead me, to believe that if your fuel shut off solenoid is okay, then you will need to remove your carburetor, and give it a really good cleaning. You likely have a fuel restriction issue inside your carburetor, due to a clogged jet, or fuel passage.