Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and small engine diagnostics and repair - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Mower will operate when I get off the seat, but engine shuts

Customer Question

Mower will operate when I get off the seat, but engine shuts down. Mower wont operate while on the seat
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Could you clarify the symptoms you are having just so i am sure I am on the same page? If the tractor is shutting down with the mower engaged when you get off the seat that is what the safety switch for the seat is supposed to do if the mower will not engage when on the seat try bypassing the seat switch with a jumper wire for test purposes only and also the PTO switch. The parts book is showing two style seat switches. Copy and paste this link in your browser to access the parts book for your model and go to sectional index and them into the electrical section for the diagram. Let me know if you need more help
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.homepageservlet_alt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the mower runs when you get off the seat and shuts down when you sit on it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update, Has there been any work on the safety switches and wiring? If so is it possible that the wrong switch was installed. Some switches are normally open and others are normally closed although they might look the same they function differently. Is it possible the wrong switch was installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Same switch for 3 years. I'm thinking the switch(s) are bad
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. I agree. If you have an OHM meter you can test the switches for continuity in both the open and closed positions when on and off the seat to see if the switch is open or closed in both positions or if it is faulty. Let me know
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Did you get this resolved? I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you or if you still needed more help? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this. Please feel free to rate or accept if you found my information helpful as that is how the experts receive credit for their time helping on the site.