Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a john deere 245 lawn tractor,when I turn the ignition

Customer Question

I have a john deere 245 lawn tractor,when I turn the ignition switch to on position the yellow battery light comes on briefly then fades out and have no spark.the battery and all conections are fine.it will crank over but will not start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Check for a short in the wiring and or grounding out, I would check coil, check that the flywheel key is good and no rust preventing the coil from good signal. When plug is in this is either from the compression or path of least resistance and thus no spark. You would also want to have the battery load tested and confirm good clean tight battery/cable connections including both power and grounds. You'll also want to check oil level.
A great write up on key ignition system component testing: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/ignition-system-theory-and-testing
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.