Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My Craftsman Platinum 7.25 starts great then stalls. Won't

Customer Question

My Craftsman Platinum 7.25 starts great then stalls. Won't start for 15-20 minutes, starts easily then stalls. Any thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hii my name is ***** ***** thank you for using Just Answer. How long does it run ? . There is a few things that it could be , a engine needs spark , fuel and compression , if it's a bad coil it will lose spark when hot . If it's bad valves the valves heat up and expand because they are metal and lose their seal and the engine looses compression until it cools down . And a faulty gas cap can vapor lock a motor stopping the fuel flow . So right after it dies I would check for spark to see if it still has spark , if so then we know the coil is fine . I would also check the gas cap , try leaving it loose to see if it starts back up , if it does you know the cap is bad and restricting the gas flow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stalls imediatley
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that sounds more like a carburetor issue. What is the model number of the mower
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
###-##-####
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok it looks like you have a briggs and Stratton engine right ? . If so behind the air filter housing is the carburetor, you can feel the bowl of the carburetor, on the bottom is the carburetor bowl bolt , lose that and let some fuel drain out for a few seconds then retighten it and see if it will start ,what this will do is get any wator or bad gas out of the bowl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanx I'll try that.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know if that works , if not we may have to remove the brass bolt that holds the bowl on and make sure the ports in it are clean