Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have an HRX 217 versamower, and it wouldnt restart after

Customer Question

I have an HRX 217 versamower, and it wouldnt restart after it was warmed up, other than at a very slow idle then it would die. I found and reattached a small spring on the carburetor that was not attached. I attached it correctly accoding to an identical mower I have for reference. Now it is backfiring upon restart. Where do I go now?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This site isn't user friendly to just ask one question
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
The spring on the carb is the throttle return and goes hand and hand with the governor rod, note that you can disconnect the gov rod and work the carb like a normal throttle, if it still has the problem then you know it's nothing to do with the spring. It's most likely related to the carb itself. This is usually a good sign it is either in need of adjustment or that it needs rebuilt/replaced but this can sometimes also be related to valve adjustment and timing issues. Also check spark is good and plug is as well, and it's also a good idea to check the compression.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.