Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a v 2 cyclinder & S engine model 49M777-1296-g1. The

Customer Question

I have a v 2 cyclinder B & S engine model 49M777-1296-g1. The engine quit running. I checked all the basic stuff, getting fire, fuel, etc. When I would crank the engine I noticed that the engine seemed out of balance and it was hard to crank, i.e. turn the key and the flywheel would barely turn and then finally it would turn normal but not start. I did a compression test of the cyclinders and one was normal (over 100psi) and the other had not compression at all. I removed the spark plug and used a long screwdriver and I could push the piston down until it bottomed out. I believe the piston pin either came out (not likely) or broke off. What procedure do I use to replace the pin that holds the piston to the connecting rod?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You remove the engine and find the broken parts. More than likely you have a broken connecting rod! The sump will haveto be removed to see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I'll need an engine gasket kit and a connecting rod. Do I have to replace anything when I remove the sump?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You best take it apart before ordering parts, more likely you will need new rod and piston, and cylinder may be damaged. and you may find cylinder head and valves damaged.