Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Replace five ignition coils,starts one time,change spark plug

Customer Question

Replace five ignition coils,starts one time,change spark plug four times, coil will weak spark when plug is out, put plug inand and it will not fire at all.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Check for a short in the wiring and or grounding out, I would check coil is correct coil and is good, check that the flywheel key is good and no rust preventing the coil from good signal. When plug is in this is either from the compression or path of least resistance and thus no spark.
To help further I would need more info such as the part number of the plug and coil used and the correct model number as the one provided I cannot locate seeming to be invalid, possibly a number off/incorrect?.
A great write up on key ignition system component testing: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/ignition-system-theory-and-testing
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.