Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deere STX38 Solenoid

Customer Question

I'm trying to replace the solenoid on my lawn mower and it doesn't want to engage. when I reconnect the power it starts spinning freely. The solenoid is mounted directly to the starter. This is a John Deere STX38 mower. I'm still waiting. Is anyone trying to answer my question?

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you remove the starter to replace the solenoid?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid has to capture the arm that throws out the bendix,?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like solenoid is installed wrong!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need to remove the starter? I'm pretty mechanically inclined I just need a mental picture of the assembly and how it works. Does the starter need to be separated and the capture arm retracted to slip the solenoid into place?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, remove the starter, then you can see what the solenoid does!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How very condescending. I now can see the value of your years of experience. Now I know why you have to do this on-line. Your years would have been extremely limited!!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
That was not my intention! But with starter out where you can see it, you can see that the inner lever has to be the solenoid, so the solenoid can pull it back. My career was limited to 50 years.