Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Been mowing tall grass w/ my & D cordless electric mower.

Customer Question

Been mowing tall grass w/ my B & D cordless electric mower. It dies after afer a few minutes, but will restart after sitting for a minute or so. Then it dies again (etc., etc.) Replacement battery's about 3 yrs old and seems to charge OK.
Initial thought was to replace battery, but then maybe one of the electrical components is overheatins/shorting. Ideas ???
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Friend suggests bad cell/low fluid in battery. Suggests that I ck electrolite level and add distilled water if low. If you agree, is that something a home tinkerer should undertake ??
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like the motor is overheating in the tall grass.
There is not very much you can do with this issue unless you replace the motor. THis can be expensive. Usually better to buy a new mower.
The battery can also be causing the problem if it is weak. Three years old is a long time for a battery to work.
The problem is that if you replace the battery and it doesn't fix the problem, you are stuck with an expensive battery.
You probably should take this to a Black and Decker service center and have then test it to find out what the real problem is.
I wish I could be of more help, but these electric mowers tend to be baffling.