Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deere 140 riding mower wont turn over upon turning key.

Customer Question

John Deere 140 riding mower wont turn over upon turning key. Battery is good. I can hear a free wheeling sound coming from what I assume is the starter.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Starter is spinning, either the starter drive is broken, or could the battery be installed backward? + terminal is the red terminal? If battery is backward, starter will turn but not spin out the drive gear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is in properly. Never removed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Then the starter gear need to be examined, it may be stripped and is not moving up on the shaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Looking at gear right now. Not up and engaged with flywheel. New starter?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The gear is a replaceable part, or you can replace the starter. The gear has to spin up the shaft when the starter is engaged. If battery voltage is good, above 12.5 volts . then it should spin up the shaft, they do get stripped on flywheel teeth and on the inner gear. Gear is usually plastic!