Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My electric is about 10 yrs old. Replaced batteries a couple

Customer Question

My electric is about 10 yrs old. Replaced batteries a couple of years ago along with battery cables. After charge it runs at slow speeds and loses power quickly. When I checked batteries, water was low so I added. Could I have fried the batteries by charging them with low water levels?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Make and model? What is this? Golf cart? Mower? Other? What is the voltage? Was the water level below the plates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an EZGO Electric golf cart. Don't have model available. About 10 yrs old. The water level was below plates. I will check voltage tonight. And model # It runs after charging but not at full power and not for very long. When I go to charge it, it shows it is down but doesn't take that long to charge back up.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked each battery cable and connection on the battery pack? Get a voltmeter and check the voltage of each battery, on a 36 volt cart, each battery should be well over 6 volts. The charger should run around 8 hours if the batteries are good. It sounds like you could have bad battery or connection. Do you know what is the actual age of the batteries? Cart battery life is around 5 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked batteries, all fine. Reverse gets full power and speed. Forward doesn't go to full speed. Stays in low speed mode, plenty of power just doesn't kick in to high speed. Checked all wires on solenoid and speed controller. All look good. Solenoid appears to be working. What could prevent it from going in to high speed in forward direction?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Controller is all that changes speed!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I recall, it looked to be a Curtiss Instruments speed controller. Is that something I should just replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I replace the speed controller?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if it is slower in forward than reverse, the controller has to be the problem! Get numbers of the controller and look for best price on EBAY for a replacement.