Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

New 300 series 4.5 briggs mowers not starting,will run with

Customer Question

new 300 series 4.5 briggs mowers not starting,will run with carb cleaner shot in throttle. i have 3 of these that are new and non of them will start,has a new type carb,they are murry mowers from walmart.any answers?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
Do not spray carb cleaner in these unit. You will ruin the diaphram in the carburetor.
I suspect that you have bad diaphrams in them already.
IF this is the type that has the carburetor sitting on TOP of the gas tank, you will need to replace the diaphrams.
The part number for the diaphram is 495770.
IF your carburetor DOES NOT sit on the gas tank, then your problem is that the carburetor is dirty and needs to be taken apart and cleaned.