Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

carey, my JD L100 wont crank, it cranks fine with spark plug

carey, my JD L100 wont crank, it cranks fine with spark plug NOT in, but barely when plug is in. was running fine before. any ideas?

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

this has the high horsepower Briggs single cylinder engine. It uses the camshaft with a spring loaded weight to open the valve and drop compression for starting.

Curtis B. :

If the spring breaks, the compression release will not take place. You can try adjusting the valves , intake at .003 to .005 inch, and exhaust at .005 to .,007 inch. It may help, If it does not, check the compression with good gage, and if reading is 100 psi or more, the compression release is not working and the cam is likely problem.

Curtis B. :

Deere shows various model numbers for the engine, could you find the numbers on the engine and I will double check the camshaft. Number example will be(NNN) NNN-NNNNB1

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Curtis.

Looks as if my issue was bigger than what I thought. Seems the carb was dumping fuel into the engine, maybe a pin hole? My shop tried replacing some parts of it but is now replacing the entire carb.

Ok. This doesn't sound like a carb problem. But let me know how it works out. The compression being to high is the common problem that causes engine to be hard to turn over. Thanks for the reply.