Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

i put charger to my battrey and now the hot and battery flashes

i put charger to my battrey and now the hot and battery flashes and my battrey dies overnight

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

How old is the battery? Have you tested the battery? And you say it overheats?

Curtis B. :

Polaris 330 is assume

Customer:

not sure how old battery is i had a stater put on it when I got it back wouldnt crank so I put a charger on it and then the word hot flashes even if I dont start it just switch on

Customer:

yes polaris 330 magnum

Curtis B. :

FAn is turned on by temperature switch, is the temperature switch closing when engine heats up?

Customer:

not sure

Curtis B. :

So it is just light coming on. Can you get engine to start? Do you have a voltmeter to test the charging system?

Curtis B. :

330 magnum is air cooled engine. Has to be 350 before water cooled.

Customer:

yrs it starts and as long as i run it it will start just battrey dies over night the light on speed hand flashes too

Customer:

i read on comp that emc may be bad ?

Curtis B. :

Typical ATV battery is warranted for 30 days! Before I bought any components, I would check the charging system with digital voltmeter, about $ 10.00 at retail or auto supply. Check battery voltage before start and then with engine running about half throttle, reading should be 12 volts before start and at least 13 with engine running.

Curtis B. :

If charging system is working, and battery will start unit, remove the negative cable and let it sit overnight, then see if battery will start it next day. If not , battery is bad.

Curtis B. :

I have had at least a dozen Polaris models and never have replaced a voltage regulator or stator. Always good.

Curtis B. :

The temperature switch can be checked with the same voltmeter,

Customer:

yes I know air cool but oil radiator fan wont come on while running just dont understand why battrey dies if its temp sensor ?

Curtis B. :

Battery dies because it is bad or the charging system is not working. Temperature switch is likely bad, if you bypass it , tying the two wires together will the fan run? If so, you need new switch.

Curtis B. :

Two separate problems.

Curtis B. :

Though the fan won't work if you don't have voltage for it.

Customer:

o ok thankls

Curtis B. :

Thank you