Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

our small electric log splitter wont retract. what do you

our small electric log splitter won't retract. what do you think is wrong with it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

Electric motor driving a hydraulic pump , with a resovoir for oil, a control valve and a hydraulic cylinder?

Curtis B. :

It extends but does not retract? Loosen the hose on on the rod end of cylinder and work the hydraulic valve, do you get oil pouring pou?

Customer:

hydraulic cylinder is enclosed inside the body of the machine.

Customer:

will I get another answer?

Curtis B. :

Does it extend?

Customer:

yes

Curtis B. :

Ok, can you remove the cover over the cylinder?

Curtis B. :

Can you get to the control valve?

Customer:

i can remove end with the valves

Curtis B. :

Can you find it on-line and attach the link, so I can see it?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

no

Curtis B. :

How do you swap from extend to retract? or is it automatic?

Curtis B. :

Can you make picture and attach it using the paperclip icon above the typing bar?

Curtis B. :

Look at these, look like any of the group?

Customer:

lower the valve handles to split then relice to retract

Curtis B. :

Are handles returning full distance?

Customer:

yes

Curtis B. :

On backside of valve , do you see two plugs identical?

Customer:

yes

Curtis B. :

Remove the plugs and swap the valves that are under them.

Curtis B. :

Look for any debris on either valve.

Curtis B. :

May be just a spring and a ball. But look for anything that might keep valve from seating.

Curtis B. :

Be sure it is not plugged in!

Customer:

ok i will try that and see what hapens

Curtis B. :

ok

Customer:

thanks

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert