Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere 155C lawn tractor and need help adjusting

I have a John Deere 155C lawn tractor and need help adjusting the parking brake mechanism so that it will stay locked in position. I press on brake pedal, lift parking brake knob but it won't hold in position when i release my foot from brake pedal

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

PU01/PU01638________UN03APR09.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

# XXXXX is spring that should pull the # XXXXX bracket into place to hold the brake when applied. Is this spring in place?

Curtis B. :

Only adjustment on the brake is the rod # XXXXX going back to the brake lever on the transmission. This should have nothing to do with parking brake latch.

Customer:

Looking at the schematic, the spring appears to be there, connected and okay. The knob (#17) appears to hold for a second in the up position and then releases. There is a plastic guide at the top of #16 rod that I don't see in the schematic. I'll have to double check the mechanism but any other thoughts? Twisted #16? Plastic guide at top of #16 rod too high or too low?

Curtis B. :

The latch has to meet the rod, it can be bent.??

Customer:

The rod moves up when the knob is lifted. I'll need to look at it some more

Curtis B. :

OK> Let me know.