Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Yardman riding mower with a 19.5hp/500cc B and S engine.

I have a Yardman riding mower with a 19.5hp/500cc B and S engine. (I've been having trouble with he battery keeping a charge. ) I've only run the mower approx. 10 hours in two years. Even with the charger on, when I try to start it, it takes many attempts to turn over. Today, I ran it for an hour and turned it off. Now I can't get it to start again, although the battery is fully charged. A friend helped me clean the spark plug and air filter, put it just groans to a stop. Any ideas?

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

Have you had battery replaced or tested? If not used and charged on a regular basis, the battery will go bad, and charging will only put surface charge on battery, and it will have no amps for heavy cranking.

Curtis B. :

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery?

Curtis B. :

Do you get rapid clicking when trying to start?

Curtis B. :

The engine has electric fuel solenoid that has to have 12 volts to keep engine running. If voltage drops, the fuel solenoid wil kill engine.

Curtis B. :

Let me know, we can go from here. Thank you.

Customer:

It

Curtis B. :

??

Customer:

IT's not rapid clicking, but more like it's trying to turn over, but doesn't. Then it seems the battery runs down after 3-4 minutes. I think the battery is charged to 12 volts, but the engine just doens't turn over.

Curtis B. :

I think you need new battery!

Customer:

you don't think it's the igniton that maybe I've burned out, or the fuel filter? (I'm not a mechanic at all!!!!!!!! But I saw these ideas somewhere!

Curtis B. :

Take battery and have it tested. If it checks bad, get a replacement. If it checks good, you are out nothing.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for you help!

Curtis B. :

How old is the mower and engine?