Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

I have a 4 year old Brute riding lawn mower by Briggs and Stratton

I have a 4 year old Brute riding lawn mower by Briggs and Stratton it has a 21 HP Intek with XRD engine. I mowed for 1 and 1/2 hours then it started blubbering like it was running out of gas then I shut if off. I could not get it to start back up until I blew out the air filter which it was not that dirty. When I got it started again it began to pop and crack and did not run very smooth. I Changed fuel filter, and spark plug. I took the bowl off bottom of carburetor saw no dirt, cleaned flywheel it had some rust, changed oil and put 1 oz. of sea foam in gas tank. It starts right up but pops out of the carburetor and now it smokes
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Chris :

Hello how are you

Customer:

Good, and you

Chris :

I am good

Chris :

Give me a moment to type out my thoughts

Customer:

ok

Chris :

Your intake should be a one way street. Nothing should ever travel back out, in the even you do have gases leaking back (popping) that tells us the intake valve is not sealing. This is most often due to tight valves, over time the valves beat themselves into the cylinder head unitl the freeplay is used up and will not allow the valve to close completley

Chris :

Its time for a valve adjustment

Customer:

do you have to take off the front cover to adjust the valve? Is it like the Kawasaki motor in a gator? because I have adjusted the valves on the gator.

Chris :

Yes it is very similar to the kawi, let me look up some additional info for you

Customer:

ok thank you

Chris :

I will be right back with you. This engine is a twin cylinder correct?

Customer:

only one spark plug

Chris :

ok

Chris :

Sorry for the dealy

Customer:

that is ok it is worth the wait

Chris :

Here is a short video on the valve adjustment, it is being preformed on a v-twin in the video, however the procedure is the same, pretty simple and straight forward and only requires basic tools

Chris :

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. Please remember to rate your experience. Thanks and good luck

Customer:

before you go I have a question:

It was running fine all summer and for the 1 ½ is this command to happen?

Chris :

Briggs reccomends valve adjustment be checked at least once a year. I'm guessing you never have

Chris :

I do see this issue quite often

Customer:

nope! lol, and thank you very much for your help.

Chris :

You are welocme, have a great weekend

Customer:

can I ask you one more question

Chris :

Shoot

Customer:

what IF that don't work

Chris :

Come back to this question and we will move forward. There is no additional charge, i will continue to work with you until the mower issue is figured out

Chris :

If its popping out of the intake thats likely the problem

Customer:

ok that is great thank you

Chris :

No problem

Customer:

oh shoot

Customer:

did you tell me the adjustments

Chris :

The video contains the info

Customer:

ok sorry thank you

Chris :

Good Luck

Customer:

thank you

Chris :

You can go ahead and rate my answer so i can move on, thanks again

Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds