Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

Hey J. R. I mowed my lawn them parked my mower. I have

Hey J. R.

I mowed my lawn them parked my mower. I have a 1990 JD318. The next time I went to mow I had no forward, reverse and the deck or power steering would not work. I noticed the see through trans fluid check line had rotted or been broke off. I changed the filter and refilled with trans fluid. This didn't help, do you think I need a new pump?

Chris :

Hello how are you

Chris :

I will be assisting you with this question if its ok. J.R hasnt been on in a while.

Chris :

Have you checked that the brake is not on and the free wheel lever is not disengaging the hydro?

Customer: Yes I've checked both.
Chris :

Let me check a couple more things for you. Be right with you

Chris :

Does the pump wine at all? Did it before you parked it?

Chris :

whine

Chris :

Also, did you fill the filter with oil before installing it?

Customer: No more than what's norm for that machine 1600 hrs on it.
Chris :

Did you fill the filter? It sounds as though it may just be air bound

Chris :

If you did not fill the filter do that and retry. If that does not get you going, start the engine and turn the steering wheel all the way in one direction and completley back to the other, that should force the air / fluid in the system to move, once the fluid gets to the pump it will purge the rest of the air out

Chris :

Be sure to recheck the fluid level afterwards

Chris :

You didnt mention when you repaired the line and refilled the system. Often times just allowing the mower to sit overnight is enough for the air to burp

Customer: Ok I will try that. If that doesn't work what's next ? I'm not with the mower at this minute.
Chris :

Next we will have to test the pump. If it was working when parked, its likely nothing more then an issue with air in the system.

Chris :

If you have any further questions or problems post them here and we can continue to work on this. Please rememeber to rate you experience, my goal is excellent service...Thanks

Chris :

Another thought. If you have someone to assist you, start the mower and have someone push the mower in reverse, that will work quicker then turning the steering wheel

Customer: Thank you , I will try yur suggestions this weekend.
Chris :

You are very welcome. I wouldnt be too worried, this happens to alot of people

Chris :

Lessons learned

Chris :

Fyi, rating my answer does not close the question, you can come back at any time with follow up concerns. Rating pays me for assisting you out of your deposit

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chris, everything went well. Air bound it was.

Thanks for your help.
I happy to hear it was that simple.