Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

model number 287707 type022001 code9408314 brigs and Stratton

model number 287707 type022001 code9408314 brigs and Stratton engine turns over hard one rervolution backfires through carb starter kicks out new coil has been installed and air gap adjusted
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Kicking back and/or backfiring is most often a shared flywheel key throwing the egine out of time, so I would start by inspecting the key. Even a slight shear just enough to feel with your thumbnail is enough to to do it.

You'll need to remove the engine shroud to gain access to the flywheel. If you don't have a strap wrench for holding the flywheel, take a length of clean cord like starter rope and place about 3' in the spark plug hole to function as a piston stop to keep the engine from turning. Leave enough hanging out for easy removal. Loosen and remove the flywheel nut (or bolt) and washer, then look at the slots in the crankshaft and the flywheel. They should be lined up exactly square with one another. If they are not, the soft flywheel key has sheared (it's supposed to under some circumstances to prevent damage to the engine) and will need to be replaced.

A puller is the best method, but a way to work around if you are very careful is to loosen the flywheel nut and then thread it so that about 1-2 threads of the nut are covering the threaded end of the crankshaft. You want the crankshaft threads fully protected. Then place a large screwdriver underneath the flywheel to use as a lever. Be very careful where you place it, since there's an alternator coil under the flywheel as well. Place the screwdriver end on a solid support under the flywheel such as a strengthening rib, then lever it up to put pressure on the bottom edge of the flywheel. Next take a mallet -- not a hard hammer -- and give the flywheel nut a sharp what while levering up with the large screwdriver. The whack combined with the leverage should release the flywheel from the crank. Then just remove the nut and take it off.

Here's some info that may also help:

Extra Info

Site guidelines require that I post all troubleshooting steps or partial answers as answers, but this may not be the final answer. Additional troubleshooting may be required. So please hold off on rating until we determine the exact problem. If this doesn't solve it, or if you need additional assistance in applying this answer to your specific situation, please use the "reply to expert" link so we can continue the discussion.
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.