Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines

I have a Murray 40508X92E with a 40" deck and two blades. It

I have a Murray 40508X92E with a 40" deck and two blades. It has been working fine until I changed the left rear tire the other day. Now it won't move when I put it into gear. The linkage to the transmission seems to be ok. Suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Donald : Hello and thank you for choosing this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Donald : How are you today?
Donald : Your rear wheels and the axles on your transmission all have keyways cut into them. There is a square key that slides into the your keyways to lock your wheels to your axle, so that when your axles spin, your wheels will also spin along with your axles.
Donald : Without the square key, your axle will spin inside your wheel and prevent your mower from driving forwards or backwards.
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Would have removing the left rear tire and replacing it have caused the problem? I lined up the keyway when I replaced the tire. I didn't do anything to the right tire.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Can you double check just to make sure that the square key is still inside your keyways? When you lined up your keyways, did you slide the square key all the way in? If you can raise your rear wheels off the ground, try spinning your left wheel forwards and backwards by hand. If this wheel spins freely without spinning your right wheel with equal speed, then your square key has likely falling out.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Hello

This is a follow up to say thank you for the positive rating and for choosing Just Answer. Also, I want you to know that it was a pleasure working with you.

If you have questions again, I will be happy to work with you to get you the answer you need.

Sincerely,
Donald