PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.

Hi, our neighbour has a Murray sit-on-mower. He has to use

Hi, our neighbour has a Murray sit-on-mower. He has to use it a lot because he can't walk well. As soon as he starts the mower, our digital TV and radio reception brakes down. Very annoying. What can be done?
I'm also a Ham radio operator and actually have had this problem with a lawnmower causing static on a wire dipole antenna.

First thing I would do is make sure there's a resistor type plug in the mower's engine. A non-resistor plug will cause all sorts of high frequency "noise" that can interfere with electronics. The wiring on your antenna could easily pick that signal up if not properly shielded.

Try wrapping the coil and spark plug wire with aluminum shielding tape. It should be available from any place that sells electrical supplies or musical equipment. I imagine the problem is actually with the wiring from your antenna picking up the electrical signals from the coil. Using a different cable from your antenna to your receiver box may also be a solution.

The flywheel shrouds on the mower's engine will need to be removed to apply the tape and don't put tape on the ground wire, the little wire that's clipped to the coil or the engine won't start.

You may could use the aluminum tape on your antenna wiring between the antenna and house, but I would ask someone who knows that system first. There may be a problem with static electricity if you do that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, PK.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. I will talk to my neighbour about it. I don't think using a different cable on my antenna can help. Most of our other neighbours have the same issue with the interference from the mower. -We are not very technical. Should people in a mower shop be able to help with your suggestions?

They should. Tell them you want a resistor type spark plug for that mower and try that first. If it doesn't help, then have them wrap the coil and plug wire with aluminum tape. I think one of these will solve your problem but let me know if it doesn't or if you have any questions at all.

Thanks! PK