Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1990 yamahagolf cart jumps and jerks. In orward and reverse

1990 yamahagolf cart jumps and jerks. In forward and reverse when you try to go when not in gear it runs great need help. Richard. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

Fuel pump or carburetor is not getting enough fuel to let engine run under load. It takes more fuel to run under load than without load. Start with removing the carburetor float bowl and check for debris in the bowl and check the float and needle to see if the needle valve passage is open and not full of trash. Here is a basic carburetor link.

Curtis B. :

Try this and we can go from here. Thank you.

Customer: Ok I will look to night
Curtis B. :

Ok, let me know, we can continue from here. Thanks.

Customer: Its a2001 sorry G16A the clutch on the motor the belt is at the top the one on the rearend is almost all the way down. Not running is this normal
Curtis B. :

Yes, the pulley is a variable pulley and will close down on the belt as soon as the engine rpm comes up. unless the belt has pieces missing, it should not cause jumping.

Customer: Didn't. Get answer
Curtis B. :

Curtis B. :

The pulleys change shape as engine and speed changes.

Customer: I jacked up the rearend and started it and rev it up and neither of them changed
Curtis B. :

Ok, so the engine runs! That was what I was trying to find out. Then you drive clutch is bad! The clutch and belt should be replaced.

Curtis B. :

The pulley is on the tapered end of the crankshaft and takes special puller to remove it.

Customer: Should I rebuild that one or buy a whole new one
Curtis B. :

I would go with a new drive clutch, not try to rebuild.

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert