Jack
Jack, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Briggs & Stratton Kohler and MTD Tech. with over 15 years Small engine knowledge.
72783663

Three times this year I have had to replace my steering gear

Three times this year I have had to replace my steering gear on my troybilt pony 13AN77TG766. Please help me find the cause of this problem. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Hello, my name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) thanks for contacting Just Answer let me see if I can be of some assistance to you. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your pony. I own and run a MTD Troy-Bilt warranty and repair center and am a certified expert tech on several engine models.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

can you tell me which parts you are replacing? are you replacing just the gear on the end of the shaft or are you replacing the plastic bushings/bearings along with it? did you replace the gear plate?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Full Size Image

Customer:

So far I have replaced the entire steering assembly twice

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

and that is including the bushings/bearings, the end gear, the gear plate, the brass flange bushing on the shaft?

Customer:

not the brass flange

Customer:

I ordered the entire assembly. not sure if the brass flange was included

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the most common problem for these to fail is the bushings/bearings to wear out, wear out meaning any amount of unsupported play

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

what is the part number that you got?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

which gear is wearing out the gear plate or the shaft gear?

Customer:

I cannot feel any play. I can make it work by pushing gear to flange and tightning bolts but it works loose eventually

Customer:

Not sure about the part number but it is the right part

Customer:

the teeth on the steering gear itself ( Shaft)

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I am not saying it is the wrong part I am thinking you are not getting all the parts you need, as they are not sold as a kit

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

are the teeth breaking off?

Customer:

I purchased all the parts shown on the exploded view

Customer:

all the way to the bushing

Customer:

not breaking off. It appears the teeth are designed to fail as the gears are hollow in the middle

Customer:

It appears that the teeth are no fully making contact

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

from what you are explaining the stabilization plate is moving out of position and then you are getting extra distance in the gears, did you replace the stabilization plate and mounting hardware?

Customer:

yes

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

you replaced the stabilization plate and hardware

Customer:

yes

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

can you look at the picture I uploaded and list the parts that you have changed for me?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

by number?

Customer:

Can you give me the part number for the stabilization plate and hardware?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

numbers 22, 13, 8

Customer:

I dont see the upload

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Full Size Image

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

there it is again

Customer:

I have purchased those yes

Customer:

there appears to be no damage to the old ones

Customer:

I also replaced item 17

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

ok

Customer:

I can push on the stabilization plate and re tighten and it works for a while

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

about how long does it work for

Customer:

when i say push I mean with a large screwdriver

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

about how long will it work for

Customer:

10 or 15 minutes

Customer:

if you baby it

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

ok do the mounting holes seem worn

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

are they nylock nuts?

Customer:

I did not do the replacement but the fellow who did has 40 years experience. I just re tighten the nuts. They appear to be brass

Customer:

I have had the gear replaced three times and the previous owner replaced the steering gear twice

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

what appear to be brass? the nuts?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

they could be stripped

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

let me go look at one I have here and see if they are brass on this one, something does not sound right

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

give me a couple mins

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I could be wrong as I am at work and not looking at the mower

Customer:

when I say brass it appears to be a brass finish

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I have look at the machine I have here and they are a lock nut

Customer:

yes

Customer:

they do not tighten down really good

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

what I would do is double check the mounting hardware, if the nuts are indeed brass I would replace with the mtd parts, I do this when I repair.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

make sure all bushing good and mounting is good

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

if you want to take a look when you get home and get back to me we can continue then if that works for you

Customer:

ok thanks

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

just click on save and exit and I will send you a response just reply to it when you are ready and I will be on it may take me a bit to get right back to you so do not think I forgot about you around what time do you figure you will get to it?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I will be offline from 4:30 central till around 6:30 central time I have to drive home from my shop

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

well hello

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

have you returned home to the mower? if not I will be back on at around 6:30 central time to continue

Jack, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Certified Briggs & Stratton Kohler and MTD Tech. with over 15 years Small engine knowledge.