Daniel, Engineer
Experience:  Repaired/rebuilt small engines for 20+ years as a side job to my profession
47322625

I need some info on battery powered string trimmers, not sure

Customer Question

I need some info on battery powered string trimmers, not sure if this is correct place. Can a 20v lithium ion battery for a TB57 and a Greenworks 20 V 12" Trimmer & Edger 21602A be interchangeable? can they charge on a TB charger?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Hi there happy to help.

The batteries are both lithium ion 20 V batteries with a capacity of 6 AH(amp hours). SO in theory the same charger would work on both.

The problem you will have is the shape and connection type for each battery will not fit interchangably into the other type of charger or the other type of trimmer body. So while in theory if you completed the connections, the batteries will charge, they are still not interchangable.

You need to buy the proper battery.

As for your second ?.......yes as long as the amp rating has a "ah" after the number this stands for AMP HOURS. This mean the battery can discharge so many amps for 1 hour.

So 6 AH, means it can discharge for example, 6 amps, for one hour. OR 1 amp for 6 hours.

Please don't forget to rate me and have a great day.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I read somewhere that these 2 trimmers have the same battery configuration and could use either battery- do you know for sure that this is not true? I have a troy build charger for a 20v battery and a greenworks charger for an 18v battery, Since I lost the TB battery but have both kids of trimmers but no battery I was hoping I could use the same one for either trimmer. I would prefer the Greenworks trimmer, if I could use only one. The batteries cost more that the entire trimmer did withhout a battery.
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
I've not seen two chargers and batteries from these 2 companies that have the same plug types, shapes, etc.......

Yes this is also true tht many times the battery is as expensive or more than the unit itself.

Daniel, Engineer
Experience: Repaired/rebuilt small engines for 20+ years as a side job to my profession
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thought I would add a follow up comment just fyi. I decided to buy a brand new Greenworks trimmer on ebay, same voltage, The Greenworks trimmer beats the TB hands down, It gets though thicker weeds like butter, places where the TB could not go, the angle makes it much easier to use and makes it seem lighter. I am going to sell the TB without the battery, maybe I can make up a little of what I have spent, The Greenworks trimmer cost me less(on ebay) than a new battery for the TB would have. I wish I had started with Greenworks in the first place
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Good to know thanks. Yes the batteries for these units can many times aproach the price of a new unit altogether.

Take care.