Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a john deere lt 155 mower with a 15 hp kohler. It sometimes

I have a john deere lt 155 mower with a 15 hp kohler. It sometimes dies after it backfires and runs rough. Sometimes after it sits for awhile it will start but now it just turns over and will eventually start but only at low rpm, if you give it more throttle it will die. Thanks Tom

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

MP20/MP20233________UN17FEB99.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

# XXXXX is fuel shutoff solenoid. Remove it and see if it is sticking. Hook up the wire to it and with it grounded, see if it retracts each time the key is turned on. It can be restricting the flow of gas to the engine. It requires full battery voltage to open and stay open.

Curtis B. :

This will loosen the float bowl, so clean the float and needle valve and bowl while you have it off.

Curtis B. :

Here is link to the carburetor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mine does not have a solenoid on the bottom of carb

No solenoid? Deere showed it on all LT155s, has yours been removed? Ok , have you checked the fuel flow to the carburetor from the fuel pump? If fuel is pumping to the carburetor, the carburetor needs to be checked, the needle valve and float need to be looked at, needle passage may be plugged or the float might be stuck, or the main jet, in the center of the carb could be plugged. Best to remove the carburetor and do a thorough cleaning of all the internal parts and passages..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had the coil checked out, they said it was weak so I'll try it tomorrow. If it does not help I will be in touch. Thanks

Ok, thanks for the reply.