Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 42" ZTR mustang that will not start. When I turn

I have a 42" ZTR mustang that will not start. When I turn the key the PTO clicks but nothing on the starter clicks or mones. Suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

litl_techtalker :

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.

litl_techtalker :

How are you today? Do you have the model numbers available from your mower?

Customer:

No but if neccessary I can go get them

litl_techtalker :

Let me ask you a question first. When you turn your key, are you hearing your pto click, or are you hearing your solenoid click?

Customer:

THought it was PTO but I'm not sure where the solinoid is located.

litl_techtalker :

Your solenoid will have a large red cable that runs from your engine starter to your solenoid attached to it ...

Customer:

I was afraid of that. It appears to be buried inside the body. Let me ask is this something that would have given any warning of impending failure? Because two days ago everything was fine!

litl_techtalker :

#9 in the image is your solenoid. It will also have a large red cable that goes from your solenoid to your battery positive terminal.

litl_techtalker :

Some time this part can fail without warning. But first we need to confirm whether or not it is at fault.

litl_techtalker :

Do you have a 12 volt tester or a multimeter?

Customer:

How do we do that? And where is the part diagram you reference?

Customer:

I do have a tester

litl_techtalker :

Parts Diagram

litl_techtalker :

Can you double check to see if the clicking sounds are coming from your solenoid?

litl_techtalker :

Full Size Image

litl_techtalker :

Let me know and we will continue from here.

Customer:

I'll go do that give me 15 minutes!

Customer:

Checked and it appears that it is the solinoid clicking but no current gets to starter.

litl_techtalker :

Thanks for checking. Here is what I would like for you to do for me.

litl_techtalker :

Do you have someone to help you as you are doing some testing?

Customer:

no I don't

litl_techtalker :

What you will be doing is closing the 12 volt circuit between the two large red cables ...

Customer:

Jumper wire or ?

litl_techtalker :

You can use a screwdriver. Just be careful and take your time.

litl_techtalker :

Use the screwdriver to make contact between the two posts on your solenoid with the large red cables attached to them.

litl_techtalker :

Make sure your parking brake is locked.

Customer:

In effect bypassing the solinoid?

litl_techtalker :

Yes

Customer:

That did it! Thank you so much you saved me a lot of time.

litl_techtalker :

You are welcomed!

Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.
Hello Dave,

This is a follow up to say thank you for the bonus and positive rating you gave to me. I want you to know that it was pleasure working with you. Also, thank you again for choosing Just Answer.

If you have questions again, I will be happy to work with you to get you the answer you need.

Sincerely,
Donald