Jack
Jack, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Briggs & Stratton Kohler and MTD Tech. with over 15 years Small engine knowledge.

have a tb575ec trimmer. wont start. have spark. set valves

have a tb575ec trimmer. wont start. have spark. set valves 4 exh and 3 intake. put new carb and still nothing
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Hello, my name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) thanks for contacting Just Answer let me see if I can be of some assistance to you.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I own and run a MTD Troy-Bilt warranty and repair center, can you tell me how old is the unit?

Customer:

a couple years

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

you have adjusted the valves, and replaced the carb with a new one?

Customer:

yes

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

ok on testing the spark did you lay the spark plug against the cylinder body to verify spark or did you have a spark tester

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

is it a new plug

Customer:

spark tester

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

with the spark plug installed? and tester in between the wire and plug correct

Customer:

no the plug is not new but did swap it with another used one

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

what kind of tester?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

just so I can ref

Customer:

no plug installed and tester on plug lead and grounded to muffler

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

ok

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

did you do a compression test?

Customer:

do not have a fitting small enough for my tester

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I know that it is said that you have to have fuel and spark to run but you also have to have correct compression also

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I have seen several of these units over this summer that have scored cylinders

Customer:

thats not good

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

do you happen to have a bore camera?

Customer:

no

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the only way to tell is if you have a compression test or a borescope to see if it is scored you may be able to see with a flashlight and removing the plug and try and look into the cylinder. if you see any vertical scratching it is scored and even the slightest rubbing marks will affect the compression

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

some automotive parts stores will let you use a compression tester with a rubber tip that just gets held against the hole and then you can pull over to see the readings

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

my guess is that the cylinder is scored but will need to be verified

Customer:

ok let me see if i can get a adapter to check... comp should be 110 lbs

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

you should have all of that let me look for the correct reading in a service manual just a min

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I am looking do you have a service manual for this?

Customer:

no i dont. but i think they all run around 110 lbs..... i should be able to find it. ..now what if comp is good. what then

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

90-125

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

here is a complete service manual for you

Customer:

thanks

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

if compression is good then you could have a plugged spark arrestor in the muffler also if yours has one on it most do

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

this is a small screen on the outlet of the muffler should be held in by a screw or two

Customer:

look at it seemed ok.. now i could pull the muffler and get a look at the cyl

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

yes you may be able to get a peek that way to

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

take off muffler and remove spark plug and shine light into it

Customer:

ok let me look..... thanks

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I will be here let me know

Customer:

will do .

Jack, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Certified Briggs & Stratton Kohler and MTD Tech. with over 15 years Small engine knowledge.