Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

What Poulan lawnmower Tractor today is equal to the old Poulan

What Poulan lawnmower Tractor today is equal to the old Poulan Lawnmower model # XXXXX and if I were to order parts for the 450-420 what model # XXXXX I use to look up the parts.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

litl_techtalker :

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.

litl_techtalker :

How are you tonight?

litl_techtalker :

If you lift your seat, there should be a tag on your frame with your model numbers listed on it.

litl_techtalker :

I will do my best to figure out what is causing your engine to shut down when you engage your blades.

litl_techtalker :

What happens if you release your brake / clutch pedal while your engine is running? Let me know and we will continue from here. Thanks!

litl_techtalker :

I found a parts breakdown for your mower.

litl_techtalker :

This parts list should match up with your mower. Please click on the link above and lets see if it opens for you.

Customer:

Hi Donald, When the brake pedal is engaged the mower will start and will not start when the brake pedal isn't engaged. This hold problem started when I was cutting grass a week or so ago. I had cut about half the yard when it started spiting and spuddering like there was water in the fuel and then the engine shut down and would not start back. I have checked the fuel tank for water and there was no water in the fuel. Checked the wiring, replaced the fuel filter and spark plug and it still spits and spudders and stops running. This is why I think it's a safety switch. The engine runs great until you start to engage the blades. When you get the handle raised up about a 1/4 of the way the engine shut down and will not crank until the handle is all the way back down. Then the engine will crank. This is why I think it's a safety switch. The website did open but my model number was not listed

litl_techtalker :

I believe our problem will be in either your seat safety switch or your seat safety switch connector.

litl_techtalker :

I can tell you how to check these parts.

litl_techtalker :

Are you close enough to your mower to do some troubleshooting?

Customer:

The engine does the same thing weather you are seated or standing beside the mower. To me that erases the seat safety switch from being the problem and leads me back to the safety switch under the blade engaging handle. My mower in down in my shop down behind the house so troubleshooting is not possible at this time..

litl_techtalker :

Thanks for this information. Just to be sure, I would like for you to try something for me, when you get the chance to work with your mower.

litl_techtalker :

Lets start with your seat safety switch first and then we will go from there. The majority of the time, when this problem occurs, your seat safety switch or the connector is at fault.

Customer:

I'm retired so I'll be able to work on it tomorrow. First thing in the morning. I'm willing to start there and see what happens. so what do I do and also how do I check the other safety switch for engaging the blades.

litl_techtalker :

Try unplugging the connector from your seat safety switch. If you have an air compressor, give your seat safety switch connector a really good cleaning. Lightly lubricate it and blow it out some more. Plug it back in firmly to your seat safety switch and give your mower another try. There is a locking tab on your connector, that keeps it from backing off your safety switch. Make sure this tab is firmly locked to your safety switch.

litl_techtalker :

I will attach a picture for you to use as a reference. It says Craftsman, but it still should match your safety switch and your connector.

litl_techtalker :

Full Size Image

litl_techtalker :

Notice in the picture that your connector has a spring loaded contact strip in it that serves as a mini safety switch also. Your contact strip has to be free to move in and out.

litl_techtalker :

When the contact strip is pressed in, your ground circuit opens and when it is released, your ground circuit closes and shuts your engine down when you attempt to engage your blades.

litl_techtalker :

This is why your connector has to be firmly connected to your seat safety switch at all times.

Customer:

Is this switch the same in both locations? And do I do the same thing to the engaging blade handle safety switch?

litl_techtalker :

The switch that works with your blade handle is different from your seat switch. This switch has your start circuit and your kill circuit going through it.

litl_techtalker :

If you give me a specific time to meet you here on tomorrow morning, I will be here to continue troubleshooting our problem if need be. I do believe that my first suggestion will solve our problem.

Customer:

Ok. I have two different circuits. Got it. But how do I check the switch that controls the blade engaging handle?

Customer:

Another thought. When I told you how the engine shut down when I moved the blade engaging handle, does not indicate that the switch is bad? I would think the engine should keep running when the blades are engaged not shutting down the engine. This tells me that the switch is bad. Right?

litl_techtalker :

Yes, your switch could be bad, or you could have a loose or bad connection.

litl_techtalker :

If you like, I can opt out to see if another expert can give you some input into this problem.

Customer:

Ok. I will remove and clean both switches. Clean and test one and clean the other and test it with the result and contact you around noon EST. How will you know that it is me trying to contacting you? No my friend you're a keeper.

litl_techtalker :

Thanks a million! ... I will receive an alert to notify me when you return and post to our chat.

litl_techtalker :

Remember, start at your seat safety switch and connector first. If that does not work, then go from there.

Customer:

Seat safety switch first. Then the blade engaging safety switch. Got it. Talk to you tomorrow around noon EST. I'm leaving, I'm out of here.

litl_techtalker :

Very good! You have a great night ...

Customer:

You too.

litl_techtalker :

Thanks ...

Customer:

litl_techtalker I'm back. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I got a late start this morning. First the seat safety switch. I removed it and cleaned it and the connector and checked the wiring and it all seemed to be ok. But when I was reinstalling it I noticed that it was not tightened all the way in the beginning or had just loosened up over time and the switch was not making contact so I tightened it up all the way. I tried to crank the engine and it wouldn't crank so I sat down in the seat and it cranked, raised up off the seat and it stopped. Problem solved. Next the blade engaging lever safety switch. I removed it and cleaned it and the connector and checked the wiring. As I was cleaning the switch I noticed that one side of the plunder was worn down and I also noticed that the level plunder pad was bent so I straightened the pad so it would strike the plunder dead on. Put it all back together and now when you raise the lever and engage the blades the engine keep on running. So I tested the mower out by cutting the entire yard and it didn't shut down not one time. So both problems are solved and my mower is fixed because of you. Thank you.

litl_techtalker :

Bingo! ... I am so glad it worked out for you. I enjoyed working with you and I hope you have a great day!

Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello

This is a follow up to say thank you for the bonus and positive rating you gave to me. I want you to know that it was pleasure working with you. Also, thank you again for choosing Just Answer.

If you have questions again, I will be happy to work with you to get you the answer you need.

Sincerely,
Donald