PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

My JD 120L riding mower drains my battery during every use

Customer Question

My JD 120L riding mower drains my battery during every use to the point that I cannot start the mower without a jump from my car battery. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, does the engine die while you are using it or does it not want to start after using it?

How old is the battery?

Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not want to start after using it. I bought a new battery. I still needed to jump start the mower with my car battery.

Expert:  PK. replied 1 year ago.
Does it start just fine every once in awhile but most of the time the engine just won't turn over and the starter makes a humming sound or sounds like it's struggling?

If you have a voltmeter, can you check the battery voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The engine does not turn over at all. Nothing happens when I turn on the key. It struggles to start when I jump start it. I do not have a volt meter.

Expert:  PK. replied 1 year ago.
You'll really need a voltmeter to track this down. A decent one can be had for around $20 at any auto parts store.

It could be a bad battery cable connection, a bad ground between the engine and frame, a bad battery cable, a bad starter, a battery that's failing, a key switch issue, an alternator problem or that the valves need to be adjusted.

What we would do first is establish the battery has a little over 12 volts. Then we'd establish the ground between the starter housing and the negative post on the battery is good. Then that the starter is receiving 12 or so volts when the key is switched to Start. If all that checks out, then it may be that you have a compression release that's not functioning and that requires adjusting the valves.

I can walk you through all of this and we should be able to find the problem, but a voltmeter would be required.

Thanks, PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll purchase a voltmeter and then respond to you when I am ready to troubleshoot. Thanks for the guidance so far...I'll be in touch.

Expert:  PK. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I'm usually on here off and on Saturday and Sunday and most weeknights. Just reply back with what you find and I'll reply when I log in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PK,

Thank you for the follow up. I have been out of town on business all week. I plan to have a voltmeter by next Saturday. I'll contact you then. Thank you and take care!

Expert:  PK. replied 1 year ago.
Just let me know when you get a chance to check it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PK - "on the road again". I hope to be able to follow up with you this weekend (8/24-25). Thanks for standing by. Have a good week!
Expert:  PK. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know!