Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a onan microlite model 4KY spec K generator. I started

I have a onan microlite model 4KY spec K generator. I started the generator and let it run a few minutes and turned on the AC , it worked fine. About 10 minutes later it shut down. I tried to restart it but it was completly dead . I tried the switch on the generator it was also dead, no indicator light or any clicks like the battery was disconected. I checked for voltage at the starter solenoid, 13+ volts. In previous years the generator would stall and not restart if I put a load on it with out a small warm up. But it would still crank and leave a trouble code.
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

This is going to be a doozy.

If you have 13 volts at the starter solenoid, it tells me that you either have the coach plugged in, or the main engine is running.
Unplug the coach, and/or shut the main engine off, and retest the voltage, both static and while pressing the start button.
How much voltage are you seeing now?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had the battery hooked up to a battery tender. The voltage does not change when you press the switch. Its like the generator is disconected from all power.

With the coach unplugged, the battery tender unplugged, and the coach not running, how much voltage is at the starter solenoid, both static and with the start button pressed?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

13.30 volts, does not change with the button pressed.

You shouldn't have that much voltage if the coach is unplugged.
Good battery voltage is 12.6 volts.

At the front left corner of the genset, outside the base, find where your ground cable is connected to the genset.
Check both ends of the ground cable, and make sure the connections are clean and tight.

If the ground is good, pull the controller out.
Unplug the controller.
At the harness side of the plug, find the wire marked J1-8, and test it for 12V.
Do you have power here?

Underneath the controller is a grounding stud. Make sure all the wires are firmly connected, and that none of them are broken.
At the harness plug, find the wire labeled J1-6.
Test if for continuity to ground. There should be continuity.

If all of this checks out as good, plug the controller back in.
Unplug the remote harness.
At the genset side of the remote plug, locate the wires marked J8-A and J8-C.
Jumper these wires.
Will the genset crank now?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

grounds are clean and tight, no broken wires. All of my wires on the controler plug start with P1 not J1 . wire P1-8 has battery voltage, wire P1-6 has continuity to ground. On my remote plug the wires start with J2 not J8. I jumped J2-A and J2-C genset did not crank. [I did reconect the controler before jumping the wires]

If you have good battery voltage, and have a good ground, but the set still will not start, then your controller is bad.

The only other thing you need to check is to remove the small panel that holds the start switch, and check to make sure the wires are firmly connected to the switch. If one of them is loose and touching ground, it can prevent the set from starting.