Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

we have a 2001 onan 4000 in class C light on start switch staying

we have a 2001 onan 4000 in class C light on start switch staying on and cliking noise on gen. will not crank over
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it appears on the data label?
Is this a single click as you press and release the start button, or is it a continuous rapid clicking - like a chattering?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The motorhome will be here in 2 hours as we lent it to friends for there holiday we can give more info then if that is ok. how do I contact you then. our phn. is XXXXXXXXXXX the white light on start switch stays on and will not tur over plus clicking. I can give more in when it shows up. Thanks Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No It is not a single click on switch it is a repeat click on engine but when it is here I can give you better details

Sorry, but we are prohibited from having any direct contact with customers. All correspondence must go through this forum.,

You can get back with me by signing in to Just Answer with your user name and password, and clicking on the 'My Questions' link.
You can also bookmark the link to this question in your "Favorites" on your browser.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Onan model 4kyfa26100k vin. j0i0295177 last night they plugged in to power and the white light on the gen. start button on dash came on came on and red light directlyon gen. was constant ly flashing and beeping tryed to start gen. and no go. today all is well and working normal our fear is if this happens where campingand we do not have power. also when gen was flashing it was drainning the battery.

It sounds to me like the battery was low, and the controller got confused and was trying to start the genset.
Another possibility is that one of the switches was sticking.

Make sure all battery cables and connections are clean and tight. Pay special attention to the ground strap that runs between the genset and the frame of the coach.

If it happens again, unplug the remote harness. If that does not stop the light from flashing, then you will need to disconnect the battery cable until the genset can be gone over.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this problem only started when they pulled in to a camp ground and pluged in to power they had not used the gen in the last few days, we will check all connection. the constant clicking sounded like when you pushed prime or the white button on gen start button

Was it a very loud clicking, or a fairly quiet one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was loud when plugged in and very low when unplugged from shore power.

A loud clicking is a sign that not enough voltage is getting to the starter solenoid.
A soft clicking is the fuel pump.

I'm betting that the batteries were just low, and plugging in charged them up.