Richard, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Senior Mechanic & Technician

My GL 741 XE line trimmer appears to have a broken drive line

My GL 741 XE line trimmer appears to have a broken drive line between the motor and the line head. The motor runs freely but clearly without load and no movement at the line head end.

Is the line trimmer able to be repaired or is it at it's life end?

Nigel McConnochie
Hey there - Im Richard G.

Im very sorry to hear that your trimmer is broken.

Check the trimmer head before doing anything, remove it and inspect it.

Ive searched for parts for this trimmer and didnt find the part your saying that might be broken. When these break, its always best to call the manufacture first and explain the type of problem you have. You never know, you might get lucky and they send one out to you or maybe they can supply you with the parts needed for the repair. If your asking wether I would fix it or replace it ? I would fix it, if you have tore it down, know the parts needed and the manufacture sales the parts. Otherwise if the manufacture doesnt have these parts, the trimmer will have to be replaced. WORX makes a nice trimmer and there very durable.

Thanks - Richard -
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your thought Richard.
I will talk to the company I bought it from and see if they can source parts. Will check the trimmer head first though.

Thanks ... Nigel