Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

i have a kubota model wg750-e gas pony motor on a boom truck

i have a kubota model wg750-e gas pony motor on a boom truck and the distributor has an odd hold down bolt. it does not have a hex head on it i was wondering how to remove this.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

curtis b :

Torq screw?

curtis b :

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&va=torx+screw%3F

curtis b :

Full Size Image

curtis b :

Would be a torq screw head or an allen head. An allen wrench can be used in a pinch, but the torq wrench is common at auto supply.

curtis b :

It s metric like everything else on the engine!

Customer:

no it has what appears to be a small brass piece in the center and the outside is what appears to be a lock ring? it has a tab that is bent into the slot in the distributor

Customer:

i am an auto tech so i have seen a lot of fastener styles but this is definitely something i have never seen before

curtis b :

What you have is a bolt that is not supposed to be removed, requires special tamperproff socket adapter!

curtis b :

If you want the distributpr out, you will have to go back to your vice grips, then replace the %$^&# XXXXX regular bolt on reassembly.

Customer:

so in your belief if i continue turning this with a vise grip will it come out or break and stick me in the backside? i can always find another bolt

Customer:

like i said it seems to have unclamped because the dist. moves freely now, but i am curious if the block has just regular threads or what. first time elbow deep in a kubota

curtis b :

It should come out. It likely has locktight on it.

curtis b :

Block will be tapped , I have never seen any that weren't

Customer:

it moves back and forth easily with a vise grip obviously until the lock tab hits.

Customer:

k i just have a workshop manual the customer left with me and it shows a regular hex bolt so i was leaning towards just finishing the removal with the vise grips and hoping for the best

curtis b :

THis engine was probably set up for California, and had the timing locked to meet their emission standards.

curtis b :

Our government at work!

Customer:

i do not need to re-use the dist. so if this tab breaks it thats fine. i just wanted to know about the other end of the bolt and the block. yeah i LOVE emissions requirements, let me tell ya.

Customer:

wish me luck

curtis b :

I never could understand how removing the key from injection pump shaft and having to use a dial indicator to set timing on diesel engine was more accurate than the keyway!

curtis b :

Good luck!

Customer:

u should see a ford four cylinder it has no keyways for either camshaft or the crank talk about fun to set up a timing belt