Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional mechanic since the late 70's on Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Jonsered, John Deere and others.

How do I keep throttle cable from freezing in cold weather

How do I keep throttle cable from freezing in cold weather on Cub Cadet UTV Volunteer 4X4

Doug : Hello
Doug : Once a cable has moisture in it, it's very difficult to keep it from freezing. There are a few things you can do.
Customer: It would be very difficult to keep it dry as the cable runs under the vehicle. This unit only has 50 hours on it?
Doug : I am having a serious chat error problem. Give me a moment. I will have to switch this over to question and answer mode. Sorry for the problems.
There are chat problems. Please bear with me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are we still live?
Very sorry for the chat problems. I have reported the error.

OK, there are several things you can do to help your cable issue.

One is to lube the cable using a pressure luber. This forces lube through the cable and pushes out the water. This is what it looks like.

Once the vehicle is parked, operate the throttle a bunch of times to dislodge any ice build up. If I fail to do this on my tractor in the winter, the cable is frozen solid where it runs under the engine.

The cable should be sealed. If it is damaged and keeps getting moisture in it, then it would have to be replaced. Once the that happens, water gets into it anytime it is operated in wet weather or snow.

If the unit is still under warranty, you may be able to get it replaced at no charge unless there is physical damage to it. Then it would be at your expense. It's supposed to be a sealed cable, so should not get water into it.