MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Sole proprietor of LaGrange Small Engine

Engine died suddenly: Ryobi X430

Engine died suddenly. Seems like a gear or chain broke internally. Sort of like a car when the timing belt breaks.

Just wanted to add that its a Ryobi X430. Also when you try to start it, it feels disengaged. Pull cord moves motor but motor seems to spin freely. I think the problem should be easy to identify but I know very little about engine mechanics. I just want to know if it is worth repairing.

MowerDocMD :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help you. It's a little early to decide whether or not it's worth the fix. You need to take a quick look inside first. Here is a link to a picture of it's guts.

MowerDocMD :

Ryobi RY34000

MowerDocMD :

You need to remove the oil pan. You may want to drain it first to lessen the mess. Remove the seven screws and then the oil pan will come off. You want to make sure that the connecting rod is intact. Look in the oil for any pieces of metal. You should also be able to see the timing belt, verify it is intact also and get back to me. We'll go from there. Thanks.

Customer: No time to take oil pan off. Please list possible problems and estmated costs of solutions.
MowerDocMD :

Possible problem is broken connecting rod due to seized piston. This would require engine replacement which would cost more than a new unit. There is no way to be sure until you remove the oil pan.

Thank you!