Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

honda ex1000 run only with choke on?

Customer Question

honda ex1000 run only with choke on?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Chris :

Hello how are you

Chris :

Your issue does certainly sound fuel related, to properly clean a carb it must be completley disassembled, soaked in a quality carb cleaning solution ovenight, then everything blown out with compressed air.

Chris :

Did you remove the brass jet before soaking?

Customer:

Yes, and it looked O.K. the whole carb looked O.K.too

Chris :

Did this generator sit unused for some time with fuel left in the carb?

Customer:

Yes, about 3 months with stablizer in the fuel, I did drain the fuel bowl after the last use.

Chris :

Did you also remove the nozzel and ensure it was clean as well

Customer:

Which nozzel?

Chris :

The nozzel is located under the main jet.

Chris :

It helps to distribute the fuel

Chris :

Give me a moment to post a link with some pictures for you

Chris :

picture #5 is the jet and nozzel

Chris :

nozzle

Chris :

The fact that it runs better with the choke on tells us the engine is starved for fuel

Chris :

Its also a good idea to probe the jet with a small piece of wire, just because you can see light through it does not mean its cleaned out to the proper size

Chris :

As well as the nozzle

Customer:

I noticed in the pictures that there should be a hole (wire running through), it is plugged as far as I can see on mine? Should I attempt to clear it with a wire too?

Chris :

What picture are you refering to

Chris :

#

Customer:

#11

Chris :

Yes that is the pilot or slow speed jet, fuel is supposed to flow through it, so it must be clear. Think we have found your problem

Chris :

Please remember to rate my answer OK SERVICE or better, it is the only way i am compensated for my time. If you have any more questions or problems be sure to let me know...Thanks

Chris :

Good Luck

Customer:

Aha! I figured that might have been the case but not sure. Thanks for all of your help. I think I will put it back together now and see how it works.

Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Engine runs without the choke now, but the governor is not right? I tried several things but it still is giving me grief. It seems to run fine, not enough throttle to keep light on? Not really clear how governor should be assembled.

Chris, I just got called returning after 3 today. If you have any info on the governor I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ted

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any info concerning the governor for that model.