Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

my wife and i are disabled. we would like to purchase a generator

my wife and i are disabled. we would like to purchase a generator because of the storms and power outages lately. our problem is we can't pour gas into the machine , because of our handicaps. is there an alternative such as propane we can get and could it run our furnace?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

There are absolutely generators that run on propane and they are very popular right now. They are sold in all sizes. A small portable type generator could power your furnace easily. They are really only a big fan and burner and use very little electricity. Depending on what else you would like to power you can increase the size of the generator. You will want to have an electrician install a transfer switch and wire it to your house. Also you will want to decide if you want a pull start generator or spend the money on a battery powered starting system

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i don't understand you say it uses little electricity. but if i am experiacing a power outage

i will have no electricity. or do you mean it uses litttle electricty when it standby before the storm comes.

Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
What I mean is that you will not need a huge generator. A small 3500 watt generator would be more then enough to run a furnace. It all depends on what you want to power, the more items the larger the generator will need to be
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok last qestion- i wll keep it in back yard on patio in fenced in 6 ft fence. how will i keep it from being stolen?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
These generators have a cage that surrounds the engine and generator end. The easiest way to secure it is to chain or cable it to something or to lag it to a concrete pad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
great now i will accept
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i gave you a small tip and they said "thank you foer rating your expert" but i really did'nt

rate you. they have done this many times before.

Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for the tip. By accepting my answer you rated that I was able to help you. The whole system can get confusing, as an expect I have never actually seen the customer side of this conversation. All is well, good luck with your generator purchase
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is a follow up question. i asked you about a propane generator. but my contractor tol me i have natural gas. and maybe i could get a stanby. i have a small house 1350sq

feet and 750sq ft basementhe said he could put in a transfer switch. but i was afraid to ask howmuch this would coast me because i was having other major work to do and would'nt contimplate it til may of 2013.

i was lookin on internet under "electric direct" and saw a generic 5837with about 6

kilowatts. i don't know if this is enough. i figure refrigerator, some lamps, maybe heat

sump pump. i don't know if this is generic is enough.the cost is 2000.00. please tell me

what will be appx installation cost and set up costs including transfer switch

Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
a 6K generator should be more then enough to power the items that you mentioned as long as you do not have electric heat. The transfer switch installed will run you anywhere from $600-$1500 depending on your electrician. The switch itself should be about $350-$400 and figure an hour to two labor to install it. The big factor is what electricians are charging in your area