ProjectDog
ProjectDog, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Engine won't start? Mower doesn't cut level? Trimmer line won't feed? 20 years experience!!
52656327

I have a Toro 3521 snowblower that hasnt been started in years.

Customer Question

I have a Toro 3521 snowblower that hasn't been started in years. Its not starting at all now, no suprise. I did remove the gas tank, emptied and replaced it with fresh gas. I removed the heat shield and lubricated the carbourator parts so they all move smoothly. I replaced the spark plug and gapped it properly. The ignition key is turned into the on position. With the spark plug and wire attached I removed it from engine and pulled the start cord. I never saw any spark. I thought I might. I am guessing that I may need a new wire. I also tried some starting fluid directly into carb without any luck. Any other suggesting to getting this old engine going again before I run to the parts store? Thanks in advance!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  ProjectDog replied 4 years ago.

ProjectDog :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is ProjectDog and I'm here to help you with your question.

ProjectDog :

Lets start with the spark plug. When you tested for spark at the plug did you hold the body of the plug to the engine. It will need to be grounded to the engine to get a spark. It also help to be in a dimly let area.

ProjectDog :

Hello, glad to see you got back so quickly. Lets see if we can get things figured our for you today!

Customer :

No, I will try that, thanks. If we assume that the spark plug is firing properly, what next if it still doesn't start?

ProjectDog :

Once we verify you have spark, which I believe will be the case. The next thing will be fuel supply. With it having sat so long I expect that is where we will find the cause of your problem.

ProjectDog :

The next thing to check it to make sure gas is reaching the carb. You should take off the fuel line at the carb to make sure gas is getting that far.

ProjectDog :

Is this something you can be checking now or should I continue with details on what to do after that? Keep in mind i am here to help you with this problem until we get resolution. This will not be our only opportunity to talk. This question will stay open for multiple days so we may get your snowbower running again.

ProjectDog :

If there is gas getting to the carb you will probably need to be taking the carb apart and clean it. I can provide you with instructions on that process. If you would like I can also provide you with detailed pictures of your exact carb. All I need is the numbers off your motor. They will be on the housing that contains the recoil. I'm going to step out of this chat for a couple minutes, but I will be right here to continue with you.

ProjectDog :

Thank you

ProjectDog

Please rate my assistance before leaving with a positive rating as that is the only way I get paid for my time...this does not cost you anything more to do and does not close the question, you can still ask me any follow-up questions. Bonuses and referrals are always welcome. www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-projectdog