Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

hello i have a 2004 craftsman gt 5000 lawn tractor . been

hello i have a 2004 craftsman gt 5000 lawn tractor . been having a problem with engaging mower deck. at first the deck would disengage while mowing lawn. then it would turn on and off while mowing. now the mower deck won't turn on. checked all wires to electric cluth seemed ok. tried again and now when i pull button for elctric clutch the engine shuts down. when engine is off and ignition is on i can hear the elctric clutch click when i pull the on/off button. any suggestions? thanks!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

The clutch is just a big magnet so if it turns on (even for short periods) then it should be good. I would do a very thorough inspection of the wires leading back to the switch. Physically touch the wires all the way back checking for breaks or bare spots. If everything checks out then I would suspect the switch as being intermittently faulty. It should not be more then $20 to pick up a new one and replace it