RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
19031375

We have a Generac 25 KW and we had it serviced last week, as

We have a Generac 25 KW and we had it serviced last week, as we do every year. They are now saying that a freeze plug is deteriorated and needs to be replaced and they want 300 dollars to do it.

I see the issue visually, as one of the small round "plugs" in the side of the engine is leaking a tiny amount of antifreeze when the generator is running.

Is replacing this plug something that I can replace myself?

How would I determine the part number?

RUSS :

Hi, this is Russ,! I will give you the benefit of 28 years experience and teaching. The part is called a FREEZE PLUG, they are supposed to pop out if conditions cause the coolant to freeze in the engine so as to not crack the block. The are sold by size in 64ths of an inch. The Generac dealer will have them as do auto parts stores. The size is stamped into the plug also. Unless you have the specialized tools to install them, it is not wise to try doing it yourself, you can cause major damage!

RUSS :

THANKS AND GOD BLESS!

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS