spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect
65057319

Can a 20 KW GE Generator be installed in a garage and vented...

Customer Question

Can a 20 KW GE Generator be installed in a garage and vented... Because of the area the customer wants the generator located inside the garage. Actually two generators side by side in a large garage at a residence. Are there any venting kits or a manual for venting... These generators will be propane fueled...
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to install two GE 20 KW Generators in a garage.... because of the surroundings installing outside is not a good option.... I'm trying to figure out how to do the venting and can't find any manual or approved method of venting.... do you have a solution? It's a large 7,000 sq foot home with about a 2,000 square for garage... The home is in an area that get's a lot of snow, so they don't want the generators located outside, plus the sound of the generators.... I've got a heating company that will do the gas piping.... But, they don't know how to vent the generators....

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi I will help with your problem Please do not rate until all your questions are answered that way you wont have to pay twice Use reply to expert link.Thanks
If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We will go back and forth exchanging information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.
2. I will only give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished.

I just want to be sure we are on the same page.
Are you trying to vent just the exhaust? or do you also need more airflow for keeping engines cool,can you be a little more specific with what you want me to help with.
Also Are you looking for noise reduction,heat removed from the garage and things like that.Thanks spanky
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to install two GE 20 KW Generators in a relatively large garage. It's in an area that gets a lot of snow and the requirements of the design board pretty much restrict having the generators outdoors, unless theres a partition built and a snow shed to surround the generators. I was originally informed by a local Lowes that there was a vent kit for the generators, and then everybody went sideways in regard to a vent kit. My customer has purchased the generators and they're ready to be delivered. However, I have to know if it's possible to vent these generators that are air cooled for the exhaust and possibly the cooling.... They will operate on propane... and can be vented through the outside wall. There's a room above the garage so venting up won't work.... There's two generators that will be side by side lengthwise...

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Well at least propane is the best choice. I'm worried about air flow for cooling more then exhaust fumes, the exhaust fumes can be just vented with a internal fan for extra boost,that is all you need to do with exhaust.
With air flow needed to keep engines cool is the only issue.If this is a big garage that should not be a problem,worst case is that you would have to install some sort of fan to blow across generators to keep cool,you can try without any extra cooling and see if they are ok.
The generators themselves have safeties built in that would shut them down before any damage would occur, so I would just vent exhaust with a internal helper fan,wire so that fan must be on when generators are started.
Then run them and make sure they don't shut down, or log faults, but I believe you will be ok because I've worked on them in confined places that get super hot and they were fine.